Thursday, October 25, 2007

Apple pie (edited)

This year I baked some apple pies for the first time. That might not be a particularly shocking statement to anyone; I'm not big on making elaborate dishes, and had really never baked anything before this year. But now I'm living pretty far away from my pie maker/mother (or should that be the other way around) so I had to take matters into my own hands. Pie after all is my favorite dessert and you just can't go without your favorite dessert for too long before you loose some marbles. Of course they sell pie at the store, but that crap just doesn't cut it. Marbles won't be saved by storebought pie.

I'm going to switch to first person plural here. Don't freak out, I just had company for the rest of the story.

There was excitement and flour in the air. We were about to make our first apple pie. Neither of us had ever attempted this before, but I felt pretty confident. After all, she was in my eyes a dessert-making expert and I had eaten quite a few pies in my day. So we ventured on. Slicing the apples was easy. Mixing the dough was easy. Flattening the dough was a little tricky. And, finally, assembling the pies was the most fun you can have with sliced apples.

We managed to make four pies and one crumble. Pretty good for me, a first timer. She seemed happy with the results as well.

We went out for a walk afterwards. Leaving is a very important part of baking apple pies. You have to go outside for about half an hour just to enjoy the smells of fall and the special mood that this season brings along. When you get back, you'll get rewarded by the sweet smell of pie baking victory which will have filled every corner of your dwelling space.

The day was ended as every apple pie/crumble making day should end; with a good diner topped off by some oh so good pie and some delicious crumble.

I ate a slice of those pies tonight and it brought me back to that afternoon. I know it hasn't been that long since they were baked, but I'm still glad. I'm glad to know that I'll most likely be reminded of that day every time I eat homemade pie for the rest of my life.

Thank you for the wonderful day. Thank you for the wonderful memories.


Now, on to the lions

Fun facts about lions # 1

A male lion is referred to as a lion or tom. (wonder who's the guy who said "you know what, I know it's a lion, but lets just call it Tom")

No comments: