Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Are we real?

After seeing, The Matrix, I wondered for about three seconds if there was a chance that I, along with the rest of the earth's population, was a virtual being living in a virtual world. When the fourth second came, I decided that I was happy either way and that the subject didn't warrant further exploration.

Today, I was forced to reexamine the question when I heard on Radio one's wonderful show, Q, that the New York Times published a story about a philosopher who says that "it is almost a mathematical certainty that we are living in someone else’s computer simulation" (see full article here). This time around, I wondered what a world that would have us as a simulation would be like, but again, after a couple of seconds, I stopped caring. To me, this is reality. And right now, it's the only one I want to live in.


No tips tonight, check back tomorrow.

No comments: