Monday, September 28, 2009

A little respect

It seems I have been out of the loop.
Maybe I've been sitting under this rock for too long.
The world may have changed.

A couple of weeks ago, I was listening to a popular radio station when a song with somewhat disturbing lyrics, at least from a linguistic point of view, came on the air. You've probably heard it too. "Sexy Bitch". The artist starts by saying how he wishes to describe his lady friend in a respectful fashion. Now there is a plethora of words to do just that : pretty, beautiful, stunning, gorgeous. You can even add adjectives : My girlfriend is drop dead gorgeous! See, respectful, and more importantly, coherent.

So there you have it, maybe some people are now referring to girls as "bitches" and maybe those girls are falling over saying "Oooh mister, you're so respectful", but I'm having none of it. If the world is changing, I'll gladly stay in the past.

Go have a listen to "Hot panda", my newest discovery. No bitches in their songs.

No comments: